Mycoastline Logo

Shepard’s Hut

The limestone Shepherd’s Hut was built in 1854 on the site of the Point Nepean Quarantine Station and is believed to be a rare example of employee housing from this period. It has an underground section that is thought to date back to 1844 and would have been used as a dairy from the 1880s until 1897 and as a dispensary until 1908. It became the Regimental Sergeant Major’s Office during the Army occupation of the site. The building is a reminder of pastoral and lime-burning industries related to Point Nepean Quarantine Station and the earliest phase of settlement in Port Phillip Bay.