Originally a beef cattle and sheep property, Ashcombe Maze was part of one of the original farms on the Mornigton Peninsula. The oldest trees still remaining on the property are the large Cypress trees planted more than 100 years ago as windbreaks. In the 1950’s the majestic Lombardy poplars were planted and the gardens were established in the 1970’s.
The Maze Cafe was built using mud bricks made from the clay from Lake Ashcombe, and more than ten thousand tons of granite rock were brought from the local Arthurs Seat Quarry to be used in the landscaping of the gardens and the creation of the stream. Major plantings of conifers & deciduous trees were commenced, and the Rose Maze was planted in 1988.
Over the years more improvements are made, in 2006 the Lavender Labyrinth & display gardens were created adding a new dimension to the property. This was in addition to the work done to the Pot Garden and the extensive refurbishment of the Rose Maze in 2005. The Maze Café has been extended and the Gardeners tool shed converted in the “Cypress Cottage” Gift Shop using planks from trees grown on the property. The Centre garden has been remodeled to include the fountain that is there today and millions of bluebells planted in the lower woodlands.